Everything About Throttle Response & Controller 【How it Works】
Throttle Response & Throttle Response Controller
You might have heard that if you’re facing throttle lag in your vehicle then you need a good throttle response controller. Throttle controller is one of the intermediate levels of modification that you can choose if you’re really facing some issues with the acceleration.
Here in the article, you will get to know everything about Throttle Response controller but before jumping to throttle controller, there are some points that might hit into your mind – what actually throttle response is? And why we need this?
These are the very basic questions that comes into your mind if you’re never installed a throttle response controller but don’t worry, we will help you in understanding each and every point in detail.
Let’s start with the Throttle response time First!
What is Throttle response or Throttle response time?
Throttle response or Throttle response time is the time taken by your vehicle to respond when you press gas pedal. It is also known as vehicle’s responsiveness. In other words, it measures how quickly your vehicle’s internal combustion engine responds or increases the power output when driver requests for acceleration.
Throttle response time is dependent on throttle device, which is basically a device used to control the speed of your vehicle.
In a vehicle, throttle is located outside the engine and is connected to the gas pedal. Whenever driver presses the pedal- It opens the throttle allowing more air to enter in engine. This increases more air supply to engine results in increasing the speed and the rate by which speed increases is basically what we called throttle response.
We hope the definition of throttle response is pretty much clear now.
The nest question that might come into your mind is- what will be ideal throttle response time and how do I know my vehicle is having the good throttle?
Ideally throttle response time is accurate enough to provide desirable power whenever needed – not that fast nor that slow.
But there are several factors that impact throttle response time which includes dirty fuel filter, faulty technical devices or missing air flow. Some engines are naturally more responsive than other, while some experienced turbo lag and becomes less responsive with low response time.
Basic Difference between Good throttle Response time and Poor response time
Good or Better throttle response time: When you press the pedal less but experiences more acceleration that means you have better throttle response time.
Bad Response time: Whereas the opposite is true while defining bad response time, if you press your foot down on the gas pedal and it seems like forever until your car accelerates, then you are definitely experiencing poor throttle response or throttle lag.
Reasons for Poor/Bad responsive time
There are several reasons that might lead to poor responsive time which includes:
- Dirty or clogged air filter: This is most common cause of throttle lag. The function of air filter is to remove debris to keep engine run smoothly without any issues. When filter is clogged or dirty, it can cause a delay in acceleration and throttle response because it becomes difficult to fuel to flow easier as compared to clean filter. Not only it impacts throttle response time but also effects fuel economy.
- Problem in MASS airflow sensor: This is the (MAF) sensor that is located in between the air filter and the throttle body. It basically tracks the airflow coming into the engine. Once there will be a problem in Mass airflow sensor, it will difficult for ECU to obtain correct information about the amount of air flowing into your engine, thus creating in-accurate air-fuel mixture which leads to low acceleration rate and decrease in fuel economy.
- Fault in throttle control system: This can be another reason for throttle lag. There might be possibility that your throttle system or aftermarket throttle control system is not working properly. If you feel there is a drop in fuel economy and everything else is working fine then you should need to visit automotive shop for an inspection.
Now, after inspecting – if you figure it out that your acceleration rate is decreased or not getting appropriate throttle response, then you are in the need to get new throttle control system.
Other signs & indicators that will tell that you have bad Throttle response
- Drop in accelerations: One of the major indicators for bad throttle response
- Engine RPM bogs down: This occurs when engine is loaded beyond its torque-producing capabilities. When you apply more pressure on pedal there are chances for engine to bog down
- More Pedal pressing: When you feel you are pressing your pedal down too far to accelerate.
Other question that might hit your mind is- Will it be safe to drive with bad throttle response?
Can you drive with Bad Throttle Response?
It is not recommended to drive with poor throttle response as it is dangerous and you can even loose control of your vehicle because with poor response engine takes too much time to accelerate. Even more dangerous during highways or when you are in traffic.
After knowing the fact that you’re having bad throttle response – it is time to replace or upgrade your throttle control system.
There are multiple options in the market to get best throttle response control, you can choose as per your requirement, price and as per your vehicle model.
How can you use Throttle response controller to get better response.
Whenever you press gas pedal there is an Acceleration Pedal sensor (APS) attached to the pedal that sends the signal to ECU and then ECU will send the command to Throttle body and opens it which makes your vehicle accelerate.
You can use throttle response controller to enhance signal that has been sent by APS (Acceleration Pedal Sensor) to ECU and make it work more faster by opening throttle body in lesser time by eliminating all sorts of lags and limitations. This process is also called throttle re-mapping.
Apart from installing the new throttle control system, there are some other ways also that will help you in getting better acceleration rate.
Ways to get better acceleration rate.
1. Installing Throttle Response Controller: We’ve already discussed in detail about this, so we are not going more into this. But this stands always at first when it comes to get better acceleration.
2. Get a good Cold air intake: CAI or Cold Air Intake, is always a best choice for most of the performance enthusiasts. CAI is a perfect mod that will give you better acceleration rate by improving airflow into the engine. It can also improve overall performance and fuel economy of your vehicle. There are number of CAIs in the market you can choose as per your requirement and as per your budget.
3. Install a throttle body spacer: It is a device that created more space between throttle body and intake manifold allowing engine to get more airflow and improve overall throttle response of your vehicle
4. Replace Clogged Air filter: Dirty air filter or clogged air filter is one of the reasons for poor throttle response, we have already discussed this earlier in this article. So changing clogged air filter or cleaning dirty air filter will definitely enhance the throttle response and make your vehicle run more faster.
5. Get a good Tuner: Tuning your vehicle will always enhances overall performance of your vehicle. You can add a good tuner in your rig that will allow you to adjust air-fuel mixture and its timing, so that rich amount of mixture enters in the combustion chamber at right timing that will automatically increases acceleration rate.
6. Upgrading your stock Exhaust system: Upgrading your stock exhaust with a better exhaust system will always allows more and better airflow out from your engine ultimately increasing acceleration rate. More easily air comes out more easily air goes in – results in better acceleration rate.
7. Regular Inspection / Changing old & worn parts: Regular inspection is a good practice to make your vehicle perform well at all times. It will help you in checking for any worn wires or any other issue going on in vehicle. This is a best practice to check and even change spark plugs on time as it will helps in engine getting proper ignition on time and ultimately not reducing the acceleration rate.
If you’re still confused and want expert recommendations on how to get better throttle response you can comment in the article – we will surely get back on this.
FAQs with Throttle Response System and Controller
What does throttle Response Controller do?
Ans. Whenever driver presses pedal, Throttle controller is the device that enhances the signal that has been sent to ECU and increases the overall acceleration rate.
Does Throttle response controller Voids Warranty?
Ans. If you’re using high quality certified throttle response controller then there will be no impact on the vehicle’s warranty.
Some low-quality throttle controller leaves flags or traces on the ECU and create issues during warranty check.
These devices are easy to install and remove- mostly comes with plug n pay Ainstallation, so you can remove them before getting warranty work done.
Are Throttle response controller easy to install?
Ans. Throttle Response controller are very easy to install. Most of the devices comes with easy plug n play installation. So, hardly takes minutes to install.
Are throttle response controller safe for your vehicle?
Ans. Mostly this mod is safer than any other performance mod but it is better to get throttle controller from well-established brand that gives you all CARB, TUV certifications.
Can throttle controller damage your engine?
Ans. Sometimes pressing the gas pedal as far as you can each time you drive and pusing your vehicle limits will definitely create bad impact on vehicle’s components. That goes same with throttle controller – don’t press unnecessary pedal if not required.
How many horsepower does a throttle controller add?
Ans. Throttle controller will not add any horsepower rather it increases acceleration rate by modifying signal sent to ECU.
Does throttle controller reduce turbo drag?
And. You can eliminate turbo lag by including a good throttle controller in your vehicle.
Can throttle controller impacts fuel economy?
And. There are some throttle controllers in the market that claim to have an ECO-Mode that can save up to 20% of fuel economy by allowing you to pressing pedal only when it requires.
On the other hand, if you over press the pedal even when not required will definitely waste fuel.
Are throttle controller worth to buy?
Ans. The answer is YES! Throttle controller are definitely one of the best investments for your vehicle. It will improve overall performance and acceleration rate along with giving you option to save gas up to 20%. You can choose as per your budget as there ae many controllers with different price points – Always choose the one with high build quality with all norms and certifications.
Can you use throttle controller with tuners & programmers?
Ans. Yes, you can use throttle controller with tuners & programmers. It will give you additional benefits only. Mostly tuners are designed to enhance horsepower, torque and fuel economy but not change throttle mapping, so you might not feel that great acceleration rate with enhance power.
By combining throttle controller with tuner let you feel 100% of extra power with full acceleration rate and also this combination let you customise everything as per your needs.
Can throttle Controller creates any impact while towing?
And. While some drivers feel that Throttle controller is not good for towing- but that is not True. Installing a high-quality throttle controller make your towing experience better than ever because of it’s ECO-MODE that makes throttle response slower and acceleration smoother and ultimately reducing extra stress on your drivetrain during heavy loads.
Also, there is TOW-MODE available in some of the controllers that let you move heavy loads quicker by giving that level of acceleration even when going to uphill.
Pros & Cons of Throttle Response Controller?
Ans. Here are some Pros & Cons of installing throttle response controller
What are some good brands for throttle controllers to choose from?
Ans. There are many brands available in the market that you will choose as per your need & budget. Here are some known brands:
- Pedal Commander Throttle response controller: High Quality Build ($$$$)
- K&N Throttle Control module: High Quality Build ($$$$)
- aFe Sprint booster : High Quality ($$$)
- Hypertech throttle Optimizer: High Quality Build ($$$)
- Injen Technology Throttle Controller: High Quality ($$$)
- Superchips Throttle booster: High Quality ($$$)
- WonVon Throttle controller: Normal quality ($)
We hope you enjoyed the article Everything about Throttle Response & Throttle Resposne controller to its entire bits.
We do hope that this article helped you in making a definitive choice when it comes to improving throttle response for your vehicle.
If it really helped you,We’ll be glad if you could share this article on social media services like Google+,Twitter,linkedin,Stumple Upon and Facebook using the Sharing buttons on the Top and End of this articles.
If you have any query Feel free to add you thoughts in the comment section below.
We’ll happy to know your views.Do expect a quick reply.
Stay tunned for more updates.Thank You.